Today is my one year anniversary of completing on my house. I have now owned a house for a year! In this year I have made the following improvements to it:
- New boiler. Which is more efficient and quiet enough to sleep through. And hear the TV over. It hasn't been really cold since I got it, so it's hard to say if I actually notice any difference in efficiency or cost, but so far my bills are down and my house is warm.
- New cooker. Which is so efficient. On the stove I do things on a smaller ring, turned down lower and they still cook faster (sometimes too quickly - I've had things I've had to turn off because I can't turn the gas down enough. And the oven cooks everything far quicker too. And it's so clean! I haven't had a clean cooker since two moves ago.
- New front and back door. Which are a lot easier to lock and unlock, but mostly they fit properly. The old front door in particular had massive gaps around it. I filled some of them, but I had to leave some gaps or the doors wouldn't close. Also my back door opens inwards, which means I can have it open when it's hot. Which of course it wasn't after I got it in July.
- Kitchen door. The way my house is designed a door would just get in the way, so I have a folding door, which doesn't get in the way so much. I can now shut out the sound of the washing machine. I've been shutting it at night, now the heating's on, and when I get up in the morning it's the warmest room in the house, whereas previously it was the coldest.
Which was all quite a lot really. Next year I'd like to do some small(er) things:
- putting actual flowers in the garden to make it pretty (at the moment it's brown in autumn winter and green in spring summer, which is quite boring)
- some new lightshades. My walls are magnolia and all the lightshades are the same colour. They'll give the rooms some more colour without spending much money. And in the case of the bathroom one, something that's not designed to collect so much dust.
- new curtains. Also for colour. The lounge especially is colourless because the floor is brown and the curtains are brown. And my furniture is mostly brown.
I am also in the process of doing some rearranging of furniture, it's just a long process - partly because I haven't had the time this year to do much spring cleaning.
Mirrored from my blog.