For those of us who can't grow moustaches or write 50,000 words, November is picowrimo. Given that last year I managed a week and then work took over my goal this year was:
I might try and finish off some half-finished fics sitting around on my hard drive.
As November started I had a fic I wanted to write for the End of SJA ficathon that would fill in two squares on my fanbingo card. I not only started it, but also finished it. Mind you, it helped to have a deadline and since I was running the ficathon and had already extended the deadline, I didn't feel that I could miss it. The House That Clyde Built is a story written in emails. Which turns out to be harder than it looks, especially considering that it's all dialogue and that's the easiest bit to write.
Then there was a langford_u (Stargate AU) fic I started in 2006 when the comm was still active. I came across it in March and had a look at it. I was determined to get it finished and I did. I discovered, when I got it American picked, that my American has improved a lot since then (it also helps to tell OpenOffice what language you're writing in...). The fic is Just a Game.
After that I realised I didn't have much time before Yuletide assignments went out. I chickened out of anything longer and found a short Stargate Atlantis fic lying around. Since I wrote that in 2006 I can't tell if there was supposed to be more of it, but it looked pretty done. So I edited it down to a double drabble (since it was never going to make 300 words). It's a Weir/Caldwell fic: Just Chess.
Then Yuletide assignments came out, so the rest of pico was spent on that. I can't talk about it, but I have the first draft done. Or at least it's done in the sense that I need to stop endlessly tinkering with it and get it to a second draft so I can read it without getting bored and work out what else needs adding or taking out.
So that was a pretty successful pico. This month I am writing my Yuletide assignment. I am only allowing myself to think about Treats and fandom_stocking fics once my assignment is at least in beta.
(And having used the lj comm code I modified from an existing plugin for the first time, I have realised I need to modify it again now that LJ has changed the way comm addresses work)
Mirrored from my blog.